Leo Quinn was appointed to the Board of Balfour Beatty as Group Chief Executive in January 2015, returning to the company where he started his career as a civil engineer. He was educated at Portsmouth University and Imperial College, London.
Leo joined the Group following five years as Group Chief Executive of QinetiQ Group plc and five years as CEO of De La Rue plc. He led both companies through successful transformations which restored each business to strength and created over £1bn of value.
Prior to that, Leo spent almost four years headquartered in the US as COO of Invensys plc’s $3bn Production Management division. He also worked with Honeywell Inc for 16 years in various senior management roles across the US, UK, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, ending as Global President of H&BC Enterprise Solutions.
In 2013, Leo founded The 5% Club which encourages companies to invest in the next generation and address the national skills shortage. Its aspiration is for at least 5% of employees to constitute either apprentices, interns or graduates in formal training programmes.
A summary of the role of Group Chief Executive includes the following:
- Strategy development and the stewardship of physical, financial and human resources
- Group operational and financial performance
- Executive leadership
- Health, safety and environmental performance
- Corporate values and ethics
- Objective setting for the senior management team
- Organisational structure, succession and talent management
- Major capital expenditure prioritisation and allocation of resources
- Consideration of acquisitions, disposals and financing
- Stakeholder management.